Who ya gonna call? Lt. Jonker

The next time you get buzzed or otherwise harassed by a motorist while you’re riding your bicycle in Cedar Rapids, here’s what you do:

  • Get the license plate and a description of the vehicle’s occupants if you can.
  • Contact Lt. Tom Jonker through the C.R. Bicycle Patrol page or call 319-286-5338.

He will follow up as appropriate and will be compiling incident reports to identify problem areas. He’s a cyclist and recently joined the Cedar Rapids Bicycle Advisory Committee.

UPDATE: Don’t be surprised if you get a ticket when you run a red light or pedal down the wrong side of the road or do something else stupid on your bicycle. CRPD will be watching that more closely now, too.

(Info courtesy of Mrs. Smith, a member of the Bicycle Advisory Committee, who passed this along after the BAC meeting this morning. She also saw someone painting lines for bike lanes on Boyson Road. Progress!)

If you’re not in Cedar Rapids, report dangerous motorists to your own law enforcement people. Don’t let it slide.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

3 Responses to “Who ya gonna call? Lt. Jonker”

  1. 1 crazy commuting cyclist July 15, 2009 at 2:27 pm

    Great! Although since the last posting on being buzzed by cars, I have not been buzzed.

  2. 2 Larry Howe July 15, 2009 at 4:55 pm

    Education and enforcement will eventually turn CR into a real bicycle friendly community. I am certain of that. Kudos to the CRPD.

  3. 3 sam bergus July 16, 2009 at 5:42 pm

    I filed a report today, I’ll be interested in what happens. And I’ll be sure to post back here.

Comments are currently closed.


Twitter Updates

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 7 other followers


%d bloggers like this: